If someone offers to share the story of how your charity changed their life, congrats! You’ve struck fundraising gold!
So, what do you do next?
Seize your opportunity to interview that person — and ask them the right questions.
7 Essential Interview Questions
No one can describe the life-changing impact of your programs quite like a person who used them. Conducting a good interview can help you relay their powerful story — one that shows your donor the value of their giving in a way that facts and statistics can’t.
No two stories are the same, and, as such, your interviews should vary, too. But if you’re not sure where to start, try these seven essential interview questions. Just insert your charity’s name.
- What happened to bring you to [Charity]? Tell me the story.
- What was running through your mind at that time?
- How did [Charity] help you?
- How would you describe [Charity] to someone who’s never heard of it?
- How would things have been different for you without [Charity]?
- What would you say to encourage someone to donate to [Charity]?
- What do you hope happens next?
Bonus tip: Don’t be afraid to ask these three important words along the way: “What's that mean?” If someone mentions a diagnosis, a program, or an acronym, dig deeper. What does that mean? What was difficult about that? What happened next?
The end result: specific, authentic details that create a connection between your donor and the person they helped.
That emotional connection can move your donor to make an even BIGGER difference with their next gift.
Want to learn more about how storytelling can connect you to donors and raise more funds? Check out these fundraising resources:
- The ever-popular Storytelling How To Guide is a favorite of hundreds of your nonprofit peers
- 15 Must-Haves for Powerful Storytelling Webinar, hosted by our resident storytelling expert, Creative Director Jennifer Miller
- 5 Tips for Stories that Move Donors When Confidentiality Is a Must includes vital information to protect your client’s privacy AND share their story
Get More Insights Into: